November 19, 2018
According to a new Cogent Report, customer demand for new energy technologies in the US has more than doubled since 2017.
Market Strategies International and Morpace conducted surveys among 52,486 residential electric, natural gas and combination utility customers of the 130 largest US utility companies.
Other key findings of the study include:
- Utilities are increasing focus on new energy technologies, EV charging and solar services to create new revenue streams
- However, utilities are losing preferred provider status to non-utility third parties
- A decrease from 68% to 47% in customers preferring utilities as their solar power provider
- Third-party EV charging providers will overtake utilities in three years. Since 2017, customers preferring third-parties has increased by 66%
- 14% of utility customers plan to adopt rooftop solar, community solar, solar water heater or battery storage in the next six months
- Customers in US South, stretching from Texas to Virginia, have the greatest demand for solar, as well as home and public EV charging
Chris Oberle, senior vice president at Market Strategies International-Morpace, said: “Utilities are on the verge of one of the greatest marketing and revenue opportunities they have ever had.
“If they want to capture significant EV charging and solar power market share, utilities need to quickly build and defend their brands as trusted providers of new energy technologies.”
For more information about the report, click here…
From Smart Energy